Reflection: Why Is Africa Poor? A Whiteboard Animation
WCIU Journal: Area Studies Topic
June 12, 2017
by Chris Amapdu
Why is Africa poor, given all its natural resources: gold, diamonds, oil, timber?
View this explanation in a whiteboard animation.
This Whiteboard Animation is based on Chris Ampadu‘s WCIU dissertation and the content of the workshops he leads throughout West Africa.
• Africa’s problems are like a tree with spoiled fruits.
• Africa’s problems have roots in worldview issues.
- Worldview is the way people see and understand their world
- Africa Traditional Religion’s fatalist worldview affects societal development
- The enemy is SATAN, not witches or demons.
• Believing LIES impoverishes and enslaves people.
- The gods, evil spirits, and ancestors control what happens
- Some people are better than others
- Widowhood is shameful
- Work is a curse
- Corruption is normal
• What Should Be the Church’s Response?
- Strong biblical roots produce good fruits (truth, honesty, self-control, trustworthiness)
- Align customs, values, and traditional beliefs with God’s Word.
- Wholistic ministry
- Transformed godly lives within communities.
“You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).